Cleaning is the basic necessity of any kitchen and it is very important as it is the place we make our food.
While making various dishes’ main parts that face most like oils, food splatters is the kitchen countertop and to remove them is a very tedious task.
They are so hard that they cannot be removed with a splash of water.
To get that shiny countertop back some people use it over cleaner but they don’t know that it might clean the surface but it has negative effects on the countertop.
What is the Effect of Oven Cleaner on the Kitchen Countertop?
Oven cleaners work great for the work they are made for cleaning the oven as it can remove the dirt and oily grease from the oven to a greater extent and brings back that shine.
But this oven cleaner is not good for countertops as it has harsh impacts on the surface.
It leaves harmful residue and toxins behind that may come in contact with the food and harm your health.
Paint and varnish of the countertop may be lost due to the harmful chemicals present in the cleaner.
Effects on Kitchen Countertops
Oven cleaners have different effects on different materials of the countertop.
1. Wooden countertop
Oven cleaners damage the wear and varnish coating of the wooden countertop as it mixes with the top layer and makes it soft and thus making it sticky and gummy. It may get hard again or you may need to refinish the surface again.
2. Stone Countertop
Countertops made up of stone like granite and marble are hard to get damaged by oven cleaners but regular use of such cleaners may destroy its natural shine and color and stone may get dull with time.
3. Tile Countertop
Tile and oven cleaners are enemies of each other. If the oven cleaner is left on the tile surface for long it may eat away the chemicals present in the cleaner and seriously destroy the surface.
4. Formica Countertops
Formica countertops are just like stone countertops and oven cleaners do less damage to them compared to wooden and tile countertops.
But with time they also lose their natural shine if these cleaners are used regularly.
Lear more about: How to Remove Kitchen Faucet Without Basin Wrench
Composition of Oven Cleaners
Oven cleaners are made of strong cleaners that are the reason they work so well on hard stains and grease which cannot be removed by simple cleaners. The composition of oven cleaners includes:
- Sodium hydroxide
- Foaming Agents
- Crystallization Agents
Alternative to Oven Cleaners to Clean Countertops
Some natural methods are there to replace chemical cleaners that work great on grease and dirt and do not harm countertops.
- In a spray bottle add half of the water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Add some dishwasher to the solution and stir it gently so that all things get mixed up properly. Spray it on the greased area and clean it with a microfiber cloth.
- In place of an oven, cleaner use a kitchen countertop cleaner that is easily available in the market and make sure you buy according to your countertop type.
- Use any other type of cleaner which contains fewer chemicals and is less harsh on the surface.
- Use home remedies as mentioned above using vinegar, you can also use baking soda for the same purpose.
- For white stains use beeswax as it effectively removes it and helps in restoring shine and laminate it in such a way that it blocks off the water and bacteria to come in contact with the countertop material.
Health Risk while using Oven Cleaners
- If oven cleaners are swallowed may lead to an allergic reaction in the body.
- Wearing gloves is necessary as it may irritate your skin.
- Strong fumes arising from the cleaner as it may irritate your eyes and make you feel nauseated, light-headed.
As the cleaners available in the market are full of chemicals so regular use of such chemicals affects the shine and versatility of the countertops. If these cleaners are used rarely like once a month then the negative effect can be reduced.
Otherwise, you can opt for home remedies for cleaning your greasy countertops like vinegar, baking soda, etc.
Make your countertop look shiny, classy, and healthy all at the same time.