Baking is one of the handiest things that come from the kitchen when you have to clean kitchen appliances and coffee appliances are one of those things that is used at least two times a day and people find it difficult to clean it.
We have a solution. The name of the solution is baking soda which is found in almost every kitchen. Now the question comes how to clean a coffee maker with baking soda. In this guide, we will tell you how to use it to clean your coffee machine.
Why Baking Soda?
Calcium carbonate, the chemical name of baking soda which is actually a salt and is popularly known as a cleaning agent at home especially in the kitchen. It has several features that make it the best cleaning agent.
- Baking soda absorbs the odors from the atmosphere as it reacts with acids and neutralizes it.
- The paste of baking soda can easily open the clog pores of the machines.
- Compared to the soap this chemical is a little abrasive that can remove stains and gives frit to the clog particles.
- As this chemical compound releases CO2 so it works as a great nontoxic form of pest control.
- Cheap and easily available in every store.
How Often you should Descale a Coffee Machine?
A machine that is used for making something which we eat needs to be cleaned regularly and if we talk about cleaning a coffee maker then it should be cleaned after every use. Deep cleaning with cleaning agents can be done once in two months.
Some coffee makers come with audible and visible cleaning signals.
- One-quarter of baking soda
- 1 cup of water to mix with baking soda
- 5 cups of fresh water to clean it afterward
How to Clean a Coffee Maker with Baking Soda?
A certain step needs to be followed while using baking soda to clean the coffee maker.
Step 1: Mix Baking Soda with Water
Mix one quarter of baking soda in 1 cup of water and mix it properly. You can use warm or normal water, for fast reaction use warm water and for slow or medium reaction use normal water.
Step 2: Pour Mixture & Run the Complete Brew Cycle
Run a complete brew cycle so that baking soda can break down minerals in every part of the carafe.
Step 3: Empty the Carafe & Add Fresh Water
After running the cycle empty the carafe and add fresh water to clean it. Repeat this process until the residue and other materials are completely washed off.
Step 4: Air Dry
Let the machine air dry or keep it upside down for at least two days so that the water can dry up otherwise the little amount of water will stink after two days.
You can also read another cleaning process for coffee maker
Precautions to be Followed while Using Baking Soda in Coffee Maker
As baking soda is a home used ingredient which is used in cooking like baking. But excess of any chemical compound can cause a problem. Here are some precautions that you should take care of while using baking soda for cleaning.
- Try to wear gloves while using it, as while mixing with hot water it releases gas which can irritate the skin.
- Do not use more than one tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of water as it may cause an excess reaction.
Treat your coffee maker with care for its longer life. If your coffee maker is dirty, it will affect the smooth functioning of the machine and your coffee might go off-flavor or after some may taste sour or bitter.
Don’t spoil the taste of your coffee by not cleaning it, just follow the simple steps given above and use baking which is a cheap and easily available cleaning agent.